Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > GPRS indicator is off but can still connect(T610)

Author GPRS indicator is off but can still connect(T610)
sozugk
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-07-22 22:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello,

I recently upgraded my phone to t610 (3 days ago) through T-Mobile USA. Since the beginning I have not had the GPRS indicator lid. The funny thing is that GPRS works fine I can connect check emails etc but the only indicator I have is the gsm reception indicator and there is nothing above it. I sucks cause I cannot see if there is gprs reception or not without actually trying to connect. I called t-mobile they said the don't know, the phone is new so I should call ericsson. Then I called ericsson they told me to call t-mobile.. so I'm confused, anyone had the same problem and found a solution to it? Thanks.
Cytech
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2003-07-22 22:15
the indicator is used to show if you are located in an area that has GPRS... even though you have the GPRS indicator disabled, you can use GPRS... check the Connectivity menu under Data comm to disable/enable the indicator (according to the manual)

[ This Message was edited by: Cytech on 2003-07-22 21:27 ]
sozugk
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-07-22 22:18
there isn't an option to enable/disable the indicator... all I have under data comm is "data accounts", "preferred service" which is set to gprs and gsm, and sms service. I cannot even edit data accounts as they came preset with t-mobile. I would prefer to have the indicator on though. Thanks again.
GTakacs
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-08 07:31
Well I just picked up my T610 from T-mobile US as well and I can confirm that there is no GPRS indicator showing up on the desktop. It is blank right above the signal strength even though I can connect to WAP via GPRS. This totally sucks since I've had a T300 before the T610 and that one showed the icon just fine.

That way I could tell that there were a bunch of towers that were not set up right as GPRS was available but I was not provisioned on that tower for whatever reason. Now I can't even see where GPRS is working and where it doesn't.

Also, the other gripe is that under Calls->Time and Cost I only have "Call Timers", "calling Cards" and "SMS Counter". There is no data counter any more, so there is no telling how much of my GPRS pool I have used up any more.

From what I have seen so far the initial poster and I am the only ones who have experienced this issue which leaves me to beleive that it is a firmware customization problem and I doubt that T-mobile US will do anything about it.

For what it's worth I have
R1S001 prgCXC12-5600_US_3
R1S001 prgCXC12-5586_TAE_US_3

With customization MS
CDA102222/25 R25A

and Customization TAE
CDA102222/25 R25A

And my ITP version is
R1B005 prgCXC125560_TP

I truly have no idea which software is the cuplrit there seems to be so many different versions of firmwares and customizations that it is insane and sickening!

At any rate, I think us, US T-Mobile customers buying a T610 from T-Mobile are just plain SOL.

If anyone has any other info, feel free to chime in!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-08 09:03
If you go to Data Comm., the "Prefered Service" menu. If it's set to GPRS and GSM, the GPRS network indicator will always show. If you set it to "GSM only" the GPRS network indicator will only show when you are using GPRS.

When I say GPRS network indicator I mean the blue triangle above the signal meter, not the gprs "globe" that indicates active connection.

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-09-08 08:05 ]
markgamber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-08 21:55
Nope, I've tried that a dozen times and I've never seen a GPRS indicator. Per the data counter, it's available to the Shortcuts Menu. Go into that, edit shortcuts, look for it and check it when you find it. Irritating as hell that T-Mobile got rid of that and the Chat item on the messaging menu. I'm not going to bother for what looks like little change in the R1L firmware, but probably the next firmware release, I'm sending the phone off to get upgraded to (hopefully) generic firmware.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi